Whenever there is a discussion about 5G, there is a question that pops up invariably,
What is the Speed of 5G?
That is understandable because all the previous upgrades (2G, 3G & 4G) mainly had to do with the speed of the internet. However, it’s much more than the speed of 5G this time around. But if we have to talk about speed, the fifth generation of mobile networks is actually going to be more than what ‘fast’ means to you.
With no numerical answer to that, we can definitely expect 5G to revolutionalize the internet we have been using so far.
It will significantly upgrade the connection speed with a minimum of anticipated 1GBps. This will allow us to download a full HD movie within a few seconds and live stream HD videos without latency whatsoever.
5G is developed with specific applications of future technologies. The influx of tasks and projects related to big data, supercomputing, and high-performance computing (HPC) has necessitated the demand for an extremely reliable internet connection. 5G is considered to be a savior for that.
Why is it so talked about?
The world is desperate about the speed of 5G because of the possible opportunities it will offer.
It is one of the most talked about and debated topics because it’s literally one of the largest of all the leaps internet technology has seen recently. 5G is expected to transform the healthcare and transportation industry because of its coverage and connectivity. After the launch, it would be interesting to witness the rollout of IoT devices/systems and the cars that need no drivers. By the way, autonomous car manufacturers have been waiting for 5G and only 5G.
Moreover, much before its global commercial launch, 5G is already creating some news and igniting some form of war between economies as to who will be going for it first and making the most use of it.
The ongoing trade war between China and the US involving Huawei also has a lot to do with 5G. You might think, “What is there in 5G that is making the two of the most powerful economies go into so much of contention?” Well, it’s all about DATA now. Let’s get into that later.
How will it affect normal life?
This (the above picture) is the least convincing answer to the question, “What is the Speed of 5G?”
That’s just in the testing phase of 5G. You’ll actually get an upgraded speed with the final commercial rollout.
Our life will experience some surprisingly good changes if the speech of 5G will come out to be as promised and if…
- You are the kind of person who likes to watch online videos on the go. Streaming video while waiting for your tram or during the commute will be certainly possible.
- You enjoy playing online multiplayer video games and have been pissed off because of the internet speed. Those days will be history with the launch of 5G.
- Your job demands you download and share huge chunks of data over the internet. Huge as in the 10s of terabytes huge.
- You are into supercomputers, machine learning, data mining, and HPC, which require heavy data transfers.
- You are eagerly waiting for the driverless cars to take you on a drive. The autonomous car is one of the most awaited things with the rollout of 5G.
What are the Latest 5G Updates?
- In some parts of the UK and the USA, it’s already available.
- Samsung recently released the Galaxy S10 Flagship on Verizon’s 5G network.
- Apple is likely to wait until 2020 to release its 5G smartphone.
- Many telecommunication companies across the world have anticipated it to be launched by 2020.
- However, partial installations and testing are going on in various cities around the world. Please check this link for detailed updates.